They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I tend to agree, especially when eaten in bed. It’s almost the weekend so we are getting an early start today with this delicious breakfast bowl.
Getting my day started on the right foot with a healthy, nutritious breakfast helps me be physically and mentally ready fueled for the day ahead. As much as I love the usual eggs and toast, sometimes it’s nice to break the norm with something like this power bowl that Zach (my trainer and our health and wellness guru) came up with. I’ll let Zach take it from here! And a very early cheers to breakfast in bed this weekend.
When it comes to a complete breakfast I like a meal that provides good sources of all three macronutrients (carbs, fat, and protein). This recipe hits all three and is delicious at the same time. The base of quinoa is a great source of not only carbs and fiber, it’s high in antioxidants as well – plus it has some protein.
The egg and smoked salmon are a great source of protein and healthy fats. Mix in some greens and you have one of the most well-rounded breakfast bowls you can get. Maybe the best part is that everything except for the egg can be prepped ahead of time. Meaning you can wake up and have it ready in minutes!
Ingredients (makes 2 bowls)
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup rainbow chard, chopped
- 3 oz smoked salmon, torn into pieces
- 2 eggs
- Half an avocado
- Everything bagel seasoning
Cook Like a Pro With These Items
- In a sauce pan combine quinoa with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered at medium-high heat until all the water is absorbed by the quinoa.
- Remove from heat and cover. Let sit 5 minutes. Then mix in chopped swiss chard.
- Drizzle olive oil into a skillet and heat to medium. Place cherry tomatoes in the skillet, cooking for about 3-4 minutes and shaking them up every minute. **** Before cooking the tomatoes, poke a small hole in each with the tip of a knife. This will keep them from exploding and splattering their juice all over when they heat up.
- Remove from skillet and set aside. In the same skillet fry two eggs whatever style you like. (I prefer sunny side up!)
- Spoon quinoa mixture into a bowl. Top with smoked salmon, tomatoes, fried egg, and a quarter of sliced avocado. (Or more if you REALLY love avocado)
- Generously sprinkle everything bagel seasoning on top (I use Trader Joe’s brand Everything But The Bagel Seasoning). Enjoy!
One of the great things about this recipe is none of the ingredient quantities are set in stone (except the quinoa to water ratio). If you really love smoked salmon (I’m talking about myself) then feel free to add more. If you don’t like tomatoes then sub them out for something like sautéed mushrooms or bell pepper. Or maybe try switching up the quinoa with barley or farrow. Play around with it and find what works for you!